Practice Window Safety to Prevent Falls
Get can’t-miss family activities sent to you!
Get the Best Family Activities
The National Safety Council offers these tips to help protect children from window falls:
- Avoid placing furniture young children can climb on near windows.
- Do not lean on screens or rely on them to prevent a window fall. Insect screens are designed to keep bugs out, not to keep children in the home.
- Supervise children to prevent them from playing near windows, balconies or patio doors.
- Install building code-compliant devices such as window guards (with quick-release mechanisms in case of fire).
- Teach your children how to safely use a window to escape during an emergency.